When I have done WW over the years I do use a few of the recipes from my books. Some good, some really gross.
I hope that some day I can get out some cook books and just cook for leisure. It seems I am always cooking for a family and there isn't time for the frills and gourmet foods that I'd like. Not that gourmet can't be simple... but you know what I mean?
Working the 9-5 grind and cooking and having a family. It is hard. Sometimes it is hard to use recipe books as the ingredients are hard to come by. Well not hard to come by but it is hard to get a list and gather items.
Here is a little recipe for the busy person. It is a recipe right out of the pantry. I only had to buy two items. (Pasta Shells and Alfredo) The rest are from the Pantry.casserole with NO celery chunks, no peas, and no cream of mushroom soup. Not that I mind those ingredients. But some (kids, hubby etc don't want to have to pick out certain bits from the casserole). This recipe is for those. Unless you don't like Tuna. Even that isn't a problem, I made it without tuna last week as a side dish! YUMMO!
A jar of Alfredo sauce (you can make your own)...or use the packets. This is the 30 minute version. Any Jar will do. I used a four cheese Alfredo for this one. WW fans...buy the lighter version.
Parmesan Cheese (packaged, shredded or grate your own) Once again this is the busy mom version.
Bread Crumbs - any old brand.
Medium Pasta Shells - ( whole box)
1 cube of butter - WW fans use the diet stuff....
1 Cup 1% milk - lucky thin folks use whole milk.. WW use non fat.
2 cans Tuna Fish ( I used one albacore and one chunk light in water) You know whatever is in the pantry
2 - 3 cups shredded Medium Cheddar Cheese. I suppose you can use bagged. I always grate from a block.
Okay... Real Story.
- 4:30 left work
- 4:45 pull up to the house, drive into the garage and go out to get the mail.
- 5:00 I am changed into sweats and the dogs have been let out. A pot of water is on the stove boiling. I am grating a pile of cheese (approx two-three cups).
- By 5:05 the water is boiling and I add salt and a box of pasta to the water. Set timer for 12 minutes.
- 5:20 or so I am straining the pasta, adding it to the butter and the Alfredo in a bowl and mixing. I add about a cup of milk, then mix in a cup or so of the cheese about 2/3's of the pile. I add salt, pepper (fresh ground) , celery salty, onion powder. Oh don't forget to add the Tuna too! Mix it all up. ( remember if you like real onions, celery or peas, add fresh chopped stuff now, this is the non chunky version)
At this point there is very little mess. I have been tossing cans and jars as I go along. So there is five minutes to rinse or wash the mess.
- By 6 pm dinner is ready and you can clean up (5 minute max) and have the evening to do what you want.
And if you are one that likes an evening martini, this is your time to make a Cosmo and sit and blog a bit. Just don't spill it after the photo shoot like someone else did. Wink!