Welcome to A Circle of Books.

Please visit Toni/CoolpinkOne (ME!!) at my new blog:

WWW.THE SOAPYVIOLINIST.BLOGSPOT.COM

Hello and welcome to my book blog. This blog is dedicated to books everywhere and the people who write and read them. Thank you for stopping by.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Hark.... A Book Review!

Everyone is Beautiful,  by Katherine Center, a review by Toni.

First of all, I want to thank Dar from Peeking Between the Pages for this book.  I won the ARC on her blog a long time ago.  Thank you Dar.

I started this book about three weeks ago.  I planned to just devour it in a day or so.  It didn't happen that way for me and that is my fault, not the book's.   I had heard so many wonderful things about the book, but a few pages into it,  all the mommy stuff, sticky hands, brat kids and what not, it just drove me nuts. I didn't even find it all that funny either.  I kept thinking, why do I want to read about this mother of three, pudgy from pregnancy, blah blah ... once again......been there done that and DON'T want to read a book about it (anymore) Once again, I will tell you that it was entirely my attitude or maybe just my mood.

Final result: The book was heartwarming, down-to-earth, and yes, funny. Before long I found myself enjoying it, smiling through the kid episodes. For me the book took off when issues were more centered around  Lanie, Peter, Amanda, Nora, Nelson and Josh.  I liked the adult elements/themes of the book.    After all is said and done, I put this one in the pile of books I would recommend, and books I enjoyed.   I shed a tear at the end and did a girl power fist pump too!  ( I am passing it along to my daughter).

It was charming and if you want to get lost in a sweet book, I'd say this should do the trick. I don't usually categorize books as a "beach read" or "summer" read because all books are anytime read depending on life.   But if you need one for the beach bag, or travel tote, I'd toss this one in for sure.  I hope this is the book that breaks my reading slump. 

Have a great weekend!

14 comments:

Julie P said...

Thanks for the review! I have this book on my TBR shelf....

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Well, it's the same with *seeing* sticky kids. Sometimes they seem adorable, and sometimes you want their parents to take them away and hose them off! I totally agree that mood makes all the difference!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I really liked this book. In the end it had me thinking back to when and why I fell in love with my husband. I loved that it prompted me to do that!

bermudaonion said...

I'm glad you were finally able to get into the book and enjoy it! It sounds great!

Anonymous said...

It's so true that your mood can affect how you enjoy a book!

I loved this book and could really relate to the main character. Glad you wound up enjoying it, to.

Katherine Center said...

So glad you liked it!!!

Sharyla said...

Love your honesty in this review! I'm Sharyla from A Bookish Wonderland. Just stopping by to check out your blog, which I really enjoy! Feel free to stop by and check me out!

Terra said...

I appreciate an honest review, which is what you posted here. I am not familiar with this book but will consider reading it.
Did I tell you Dexter is way cute, bubbles and all?

Shelley said...

Your move from one "place" to another in relation to this book was fun to follow....

I don't want to read the book, but I want that cupcake.

Oh said...

thanks for this review, and the warning about the firt part...(true confession: I like the cover.)

I have already read several so-called "beach reads" ... don't know what's up with me on that, but if this one is in the library, I'll give it a whirl, thanks to you!

Darlene said...

I'm glad you did end up liking this one Toni. I really did when I read it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog.
turnitin software

Unknown said...

Have you started this book three days ago?I'd like to get lost in such a charming book. Will be it available online soon? Please let me know. I'm currently working for paper writing service and have no spare time to check out for the updates frequently!