Welcome to A Circle of Books.

Please visit Toni/CoolpinkOne (ME!!) at my new blog:

WWW.THE SOAPYVIOLINIST.BLOGSPOT.COM

Hello and welcome to my book blog. This blog is dedicated to books everywhere and the people who write and read them. Thank you for stopping by.

Friday, June 5, 2009

The Lie, A Novel by Fredrica Wagman



The Lie, by Fredrica Wagman

I got a pretty little book in the mail today. I am going to add it to my summer reading. I am curious if anyone else is reading it, plans to or has reviewed it.

My one word first page comment: "catchy"

Here is the synopsis:
Ramona Smollens has a chance meeting on a park bench with an older man, Solomon Columbus. The two became lovers, and soon Ramona is leaving the home of her mother and recently deceased father for marriage and the trappings of adult life. She takes with her a dark family secret, the sort of secret one simply did not talk about, one that would stalk her as she matured into her role as wife and mother. Coming of age in 1950s America, Ramona gets her cues about a woman's role from the world around her, and about female sexuality from the silver screen. But when experience teaches her that Hollywood's ideal is in fact "the lie," truth and desire collide with a force that is deeply moving and unforgettable.

Author Bio:
Fredrica Wagman is the author of six previous novels. She has four grown children and lives with her husband in New York City.

Author Web-site

11 comments:

Darlene said...

This sounds quite good Toni and what a great cover. Reminds me of Marilyn Monroe.

Linda Hughes said...

title is a attnetion getter. I like the cover, it reminds me of the pinup girls from the 40's-50's.
I am always in awe of all the books you purchase, you have quite a collection of interesting reads. I am currently on a budget how much I can spend per year on books, but hope to be able to expand my book reading as well.{{smile}}

Toni said...

Dar I love the cover too!

Linda.. I got this book as a promotional item from FSB Associates. (review copy). My book spending habits are on a leash this year as well. I am such a book junkie... I will save my change if I have to. :)

Toni said...

Oooo Dar.. nice new picture.. va voom.. I love it.

ANovelMenagerie said...

Me too... me too! I can't wait to read it!

Missy B. said...

Love the cover..and the story sounds good as well!

Kaye said...

I've never heard of this one or the author but the cover is great and the synopsis sounds very intriguing. I agree with you about Dar's new pic ~ tres glamorous!

Bonnie said...

This sounds good Toni! I love that cover and it sounds like a good summer read. Looking forward to your review.

Dar's new photo shot is awesome!

Gwendolyn B. said...

This is the first I've heard of it. Sounds good, though. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Ladytink_534 said...

Love the pretty pin-up looking cover. Hope you enjoy it!

Jenny Girl said...

I love this cover. I'll be looking for your review.