Welcome to A Circle of Books.

Please visit Toni/CoolpinkOne (ME!!) at my new blog:

WWW.THE SOAPYVIOLINIST.BLOGSPOT.COM

Hello and welcome to my book blog. This blog is dedicated to books everywhere and the people who write and read them. Thank you for stopping by.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The American Journey of Barack Obama - Review


Thank You Anna from Hachette.

I was happy to receive this book a few months ago and host a giveaway compliments of Hachette. I thought today with Barack Obama being sworn in as the 44th President of the United States, that it was a good time to get around to posting my review. It was nice as it provided a reason for me to strum through the pictures again.

My Review:
The book is put together very well in all aspects. It reads very eloquently, with a good biographical feel to it. It is a comprehensive time line of Barack Obama's life and political history. It is a stunning photo journal and editorial into the "American Journey of Barak Obama." The photography is breath-taking, and very moving. It is everything we have come to expect from Life Photography and publications.

A quote from the editors that I really enjoyed from the book.

"There will be future chapters. Everyone agrees on this too. Where and when people disagree, they are nonetheless better off for knowing the man."

It makes a beautiful coffee table book.

I do recommend this book to all readers.

Thank you Hachette.

Full Description:
For decades Americans have turned to LIFE to see, understand, and remember the most important events and people of our time. Just as LIFE once opened up the glittering Kennedy White House, LIFE now focuses its lens on Barack Obama. The American Journey of Barack Obama covers the candidate from his childhood and adolescence to his time as editor of The Harvard Law Review and his Chicago activist years, culminating with the excitement and fervor of the historic 2008 Democratic National Convention. The unfolding drama of Obama's life and political career is cinematic in scope, and never has it been presented so compellingly. In addition to a powerful array of photographs that were taken by many of the country's greatest photographers (and some that were snapped, in the quiet moments, by Obama family members
themselves), this book also includes a Foreword by Senator Edward M. Kennedy, an incisive narrative biography and original essays by some of our finest writers, including Gay Talese, Charles Johnson, Melissa Fay Greene, Andrei Codrescu, Fay Weldon, Richard Norton Smith, Bob Greene and several others. Many readers will find a new understanding of Obama. All readers will feel that they are bearing witness to a singular, undeniably American story.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very nice book - I enjoyed flipping through mine again today.

Alyce said...

I really enjoyed this book too.

Toni said...

Bermudaonion and Alyce I read your reviews. Glad you enjoyed the book. I think I will continue to enjoy it for awhile.

Bonnie said...

I enjoyed this one as well. It is a great time to review this book and host a giveaway! I am hopeful for our future and the inauguration events were so inspiring. I'm going to look through this book again and again with my young son as well.