Welcome to A Circle of Books.

Please visit Toni/CoolpinkOne (ME!!) at my new blog:

WWW.THE SOAPYVIOLINIST.BLOGSPOT.COM

Hello and welcome to my book blog. This blog is dedicated to books everywhere and the people who write and read them. Thank you for stopping by.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Summer 2008 - Steinbeck Museum



The John Steinbeck Museum, Salinas, California


What a fantastic day trip!



A bit before I broke off my knitting blog to A Circle of Books, I went to Steinbeck Country. My book club The Page Turners were reading a 5th year anniversary reading of East of Eden. Reading East of Eden along with Oprah was our first selection in 2003. Since I am in California and Salinas is a mere 3 hours or so away, hubby (bless his heart) and I trotted off to Salinas for the day. We went to the Steinbeck Museum, the Steinbeck family house, and the family grave site.

I left a daisy from my car on the grave site from all the Page Turners and it was a great day. If you are a Steinbeck fan or even if you just like a few of his books, this is an outstanding museum and tour. It exceeded my expectations.

What I came away with knowledge-wise was much more than I had ever known of Steinbeck. The actual Life with Charley trailer was there and a lot of other goodies. It is quite an experience to be there in Steinbeck Country. For those that have read Grapes of Wrath or East of Eden and John Steinbeck writes of the dry dusty Salinas Valley, I just had to take this picture. I am thinking that some things never change just look at the valley of Salinas in 2008 . It is a lovely drive and full of literary vibes. I just felt close to it all while I was there. Because....well I am just like that.

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I wish I was close enough to go - it looks fabulous.

Ti said...

Oh! I would love to visit this museum! Wonderful pics too. Thanks for sharing!

Darlene said...

Great post Toni. It was nice to see these pics again. Did I jog your brain with my talk of my pops reading STeinbeck? lol.

Toni said...

Bermudaonion... It was so nice It is so humble in a little humble town.... but they did an excellent job.

Ti - As I mentioned it doesn't disappoint.

Dar - I am thinking maybe your pop's Steinbeck reading jolted my mind. Gosh I had a really good time that day.

Serena said...

Looks like a great time...i love the design of the museum's building. Gorgeous

kalea_kane said...

What a wonderful time. When we were in Monterey, I could not take my mind of Steinbeck. What a great trip. Thanks for sharing the pictures!