Welcome to A Circle of Books.

Please visit Toni/CoolpinkOne (ME!!) at my new blog:

WWW.THE SOAPYVIOLINIST.BLOGSPOT.COM

Hello and welcome to my book blog. This blog is dedicated to books everywhere and the people who write and read them. Thank you for stopping by.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Inside Out Girl - Tish Cohen

Inside Out Girl - Tish Cohen.

I finished this book on Saturday Evening. I kept putting it aside after a page or two here or there as I hadn't committed to read it completely. But when I picked up it on Saturday I read to the end until I fell asleep very satisfied. I loved this story.

It is the story of Olivia who has a non verbal learning disorder. It is the story of what a parent goes through when raising a child that has a disability. To make matters worse, Len is Olivia's father is a single parent who has suffered a devastating loss. It is all about his love and devotion to his remarkable daughter. There is another story line with a single mother Rachel, raising a preteen (Dustin) and a teen (Janie) and what she goes through in her struggles to raise her children as a single parent while running a magazine company that is not doing so well.

The book intertwines these two families in a way that helps to reveal several sub themes and leaves this book a good read for just about anyone! It is a believable, heart warming story of what seem to be real characters.

Olivia is the brave heart of the story. Her stories of rat dropping and feeding habits are quite amusing. Most of the antics of sweet, smart brave Olivia will have you cheering for her and her family through out the whole story.

I believe this would be a great book club read or a great any day read. There are a number of surprises and journeys that the family members encounter in the duration of the book. I will leave it as a surprise for everyone. I was enchantingly surprised throughout the book with the depth of the story and the characters. I hated for the story to end.

The book is published by HarperCollins.

I hope you enjoy this book.

4 comments:

Darlene said...

This does sound like a very good story Toni. You know that's on my list to read...lol.

Toni said...

Ha.. yeah.. I know that... ha ha.. I was going to warn you that if you read my review that you would see...well... a failed mailing attempt..but 1/2 the battle is over so to speak! Thanks for the comment... you are gonna love it... :)

Serena said...

Hi, I recently discovered your blog. Great review. I have this one in my TBR pile.

Toni said...

Hi Serena!!
I just discovered your blog also!! This is a good story. Thank you for the comments!!