Welcome to A Circle of Books.

Please visit Toni/CoolpinkOne (ME!!) at my new blog:

WWW.THE SOAPYVIOLINIST.BLOGSPOT.COM

Hello and welcome to my book blog. This blog is dedicated to books everywhere and the people who write and read them. Thank you for stopping by.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Reader - Movie Review - Non spoiler


Happy Sunday!

I wanted to throw down my two cents for The Reader. I watched the movie last night while knitting socks. It was mesmerizing and I often just stopped knitting and watched the movie in a sort of quiet yet engaged state of mind.

I thought the story was moving and haunting. The subject matter was thick and thought provoking. Kate Winslet (Hanna) and Ralph Fiennes (Michael) did a remarkable job with the acting. As well as David Kross who plays the younger Michael who gets caught up in an affair with an older women one summer post WWII 1958.

The story has everything to do with the effects of an evil regime and it's lasting effects on it's victims and I am not just talking about those murdered and those who survived. I am talking about those that were are part of it and the emotional scars the carried and prisoners that they took along the way in the years after the war.

The movie flashes from different time points in time from 1958 to more current times. It is really well done and it unfolds perfectly. The story of Hanna and Michael is told in a very emotional and dramatic way.

The movie is adult-themed with a very high content of nudity and sexual content. I could give the plot summary but you really have to see it (or read) it to get it it is much deeper than a plot summary could imply. Hours after watching the show I am still thinking about the movie.

Click Here to see the Fandango overview, cast photos and trailers.

10 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I enjoyed this movie too - gave me lots to think about and talk about.

ANovelMenagerie said...

I loved this movie. I also reviewed it on my blog. LOVED it. I equally loved the book!

Sheri

Darlene said...

Glad you enjoyed the movie Toni. I'll have to rent this one soon. I've thought about reading the book too. We'll see. Hope you have a great Sunday!

Anonymous said...

This is one I keep meaning to see!

Felicia said...

I read the book and enjoyed it very much. I have not seen the movie but want to.

Margot said...

It made you stop knitting!!?? That good, huh? Seriously, I would like to see this one. Good review.

Toni said...

Thank you for the comments on my movie review.

Powerful and quality movie.

Thanks again.

Jenny Girl said...

This is on both my lists: book and movie.
Thanks for the review Toni!

Claire said...

I was diappointed by the movie. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I wanted more out of the story. The teenage boy was a wonderful actor though.

Anonymous said...

The Reader is a romantic and dramatic movie.Michael Berg falls ill and is helped by a lady who is twice his age named Hanna.when he is feeling better, he wants to thank her but then, she is not there... Brilliant script.... very interesting movie.. I really like this movie... I download The Reader movie last night.