Welcome to A Circle of Books.

Please visit Toni/CoolpinkOne (ME!!) at my new blog:

WWW.THE SOAPYVIOLINIST.BLOGSPOT.COM

Hello and welcome to my book blog. This blog is dedicated to books everywhere and the people who write and read them. Thank you for stopping by.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mail Box Monday April 26th


Hello and Happy Monday:
Welcome to Mailbox Monday hosted by Marica at the Printed Page.  It is a great big Monday blog event to see what books arrived  this past week(s).   I saved about three weeks of books to add on this lovely Monday.  I will be around on Mailbox Monday but I am seriously cutting off the supply of books coming to my house, so that I can systematically devour my piles.  
I received Presumed Innocent, by Scott Turow.  Thank you Hachette Book Group.
(see my giveaway ending April 27th for this one.)





I received Black Hills by Dan Simmons (Audiobook) I am so eager to bust this one out and listen.  Thank you Hachette Book Group.

A bit about this book:
In BLACK HILLS, Dan Simmons weaves the stories of Paha Sapa and Custer together seamlessly, depicting a violent and tumultuous time in the history of Native Americans and the United States Army.



The other audio book that I received is:  Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, by Seth Grahame-Smith.  Thank you Hachette Books.  Please enter my giveaway here.

From Stephanie at Workman, I received: College in a Nutskull, compliled and edited by Professor Anders Henriksson.  
About the book:
He's back. Anders Henriksson, author of The New York Times bestseller Non Campus Mentis (retitled Ignorance Is Blitz), returns with even funnier, nuttier, more outrageous material culled from the actual exam books of real college students. And it's a hoot that covers all subjects of the core curriculum, including: American History: "The Underground Railroad was built as the nation's first public transit system." Art: "Cubism is art from Cuba." Religion: "Moses led his Islams out of Egypt. Bananas from heaven arrived to feed the hungry people. These events are described in the Book of Zeus." Philosophy: "Plato did his thinking in the Cave of Al Gore." Economics: "The theory of surplus value is Marx’s idea that you always shop with coupons." Music: "Bach's sacred choral music includes the B Minor Mess. . . . All one million of his famed works can be found in his BMW. He had over one hundred children and was, of course, very famous for his work with his organ. Two of his successful sons were Jesus Christ Bach and Bacherini." Literature: "Jay Gatsby moved to East Egg because it would be a good place to raise his chickens." And Psychology—or is it Theater Arts: "Most people are either straight, gay, or thespian."


Published in the irresistible form of a spiral notebook, a pure parody of a course-by-course study guide (complete with doodles), College in a Nutskull is stuff that just cannot be made up—bloopers and blunders and desperate attempts to bluff the right answer, woven together to give a hilarious, unintentionally brilliant report on the state of American higher education. A comedy, that is, for anyone not paying tuition.

And once again from the wonderful Hachette book Group, I received The Cradle by Patrick Somerville. Please enter my Giveaway.

Thank you for the books publishers.  Everyone have a great week. I hope you can read to your hearts contents.



14 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've read several of those books and they're all good! I hope you enjoy them!

gautami tripathy said...

Presumed Innocent interests me!

Mailbox Mondays

Teddy Rose said...

Enjoy your books!

Passages to the Past said...

Nice haul....Happy Reading!

Unknown said...

I have heard a lot about Presumed Innocence and i would love to read Abraham Lincoln; Vampire Slayer. I hope you enjoy them all.

Happy Reading!!!!

Jo-Jo said...

I also received The Cradle and just started reading Black Hills. Enjoy your new books!

Serena said...

Looks like you got some fun books. I have the college in nutskull book...and o boy does it make you wonder where those people went to college!

fredamans said...

Happy Reading!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/04/mailbox-weekly_24.html

Anna said...

College in a Nutskull is hilarious! I'll be reviewing it soon. Happy reading!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I also received College in a Nutshell and I'm very curious about it. All of your books look great! Enjoy them all!

Troy Simpson said...

I've now reviewed both "College In A Nutskull" and "Ignorance Is Blitz" (published originally as "Non Campus Mentis"), both by Anders Henriksson.

I think "Ignorance Is Blitz" is much better than "College In A Nutskull".

See my full reviews here:

http://www.funny-english-errors.com/resources/articles/ignorance-is-blitz.html

http://www.funny-english-errors.com/resources/articles/college-in-a-nutskull.html

Bernard Atkinson said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to submit such a comprehensive, beneficial post. I've been being "swayed" by all the positive talk. A valuable information is also available here.
writing service

Unknown said...

I would agree with your opening statement but I don't agree with everything. We are all different and have various views on the matter and I guess that everyone has a right to express his or her opinions
writing service

Eliaz Beth said...

Likes enormously elevate the recognition of your respective respective webpage and with all the perfect variety count; numerous of us will most likely be serious about your account. The corporations that give these organizations, will supply you with non-automated or robotic likes and provide you with serious Instagram likes. The great matter regarding this would be the actuality they could be straight away despatched on your account and that means you do not have to go to that significantly. And when you're a organization, expanding your Instagram likes is going to be valuable. likes on instagram